Monday, April 14, 2008

A Business Is Born

People ask me all the time how I got started with my own business so here's the answer!

I've always loved sewing and I've always had a huge bag obsession. I loved bags so much but I could never find the right one for me. They were too big, or the wrong color, or didn't have pockets where I needed them or whatever and I soon realized the only way to get the "perfect bag" was to make it myself. I used patterns at first but even that had problems - what if I wanted it bigger or wider or just plain different? I started modifying patterns to suit me until I was comfortable enough with the essentials to be able to come up with my own patterns to suit my needs.

When my first child was born I made my own diaper bag and matching hand bag. I got some really pretty decorator fabrics - a deep red with gold dragonflies and a coordinating red and gold plaid - which, at $20/yard seemed like such an extravagance! I made my bags and used them everywhere. A friend of mine in my son's playgroup saw it and insisted on having one of her own. Which would have been great but I had no interest making bags for other people. I was busy enough with my baby, I had so many more bags I wanted to make for myself, I was worried she wouldn't like it and then what do you do, and I just didn't see how I could find the time to spend days making something for someone else.
Expand Post...

No comments: