Sunday, April 13, 2008

And So It Begins...

In high school I sewed my first bag. It was a quilted shoulder bag for carrying books and it turned out quite nice - except the straps were flimsy and unpadded and cut into my shoulder every time I put, well, books in it. I also sewed my first outfit which was a pair of flannel shorts with an elastic waist and a (dreadful) matching top. Following a clothing pattern was confusing and frustrating and I had no idea what I was doing. I think I still have that outfit, but if I do, it's buried in a box somewhere in the garage. I made a huge pillow which became my dear old cat's favorite place to sleep and is now a big floor pillow for my boys to play on. I also learned to crochet in high school, and my first project was a little mouse hanging off a leaf for a friend. The first "mouse" was such a scary, mangled little thing it soon became a joke in my house. I put it in my mom's car when she wasn't looking and she quickly stuffed it in the glove box. Occasionally I'd pull it out and prop it up on the steering wheel, or sit it in her chair, or hang it from the rear view mirror and when Mom would get in the car she'd gasp and laugh and stick it back in the glove box. Poor deformed mouse.
Expand Post...

No comments: